Yobe State is located in the North eastern geopolitical zone. The state was created on the 27th of August, 1991. Its major towns include Potiskum (the largest city), Nguru, Geidam, Bade, Fika and Damaturu which is the state’s capital. The major ethnic groups living in Yobe are Kanuri, while other ethnic communities include Ngizin, Karai-Karai, Bolewa, Bade, Hausa, Ngamo, Shuwa, Fulani (Bura) and Maga.
Yobe State Snapshot
- Total land area: 46,609 Sq. Km
- Capital: Damaturu
Local Government Areas: 17 LGAs: Bade, Bursari, Damaturu, Fika, Fune, Geidam, Gujba, Jakusko, Karasuwa, Machina, Nangere, Nguru, Potiskum, Tarmuwa, Yunusari, Yusufari.
- Population: 2,321,339 (Male- 1,205,034 and Female- 1,116,305)
- Vegetation: Sudan and Sahel Savannah
- Major crops: Sorghum, millet, groundnuts, cowpeas, maize, sesame, and cotton
- Solid minerals: Diatomite, Silica Sand, Gypsum and Clay.
Main Investment Opportunities
Opportunities for investment exist in:
- Light Manufacturing